Wednesday 15 February 2017

Home Farm Mamhead 1 good Day 1 bad day

Tale of 2 different days

Day 1
I was invited to a match at Home Farm Fishery in Mamhead which is a nice little lake that i hadn't fished for 3 years so i decided to have a practice session on the 4th Feb to see how it was fishing.
Arrived around 9am to find only 1 other person fishing who was setting up for what looked like a weeks session with his Carp gear, Buzzers, Bedchair the lot. He left at 4pm
I decided to fish the other side of the lake to him giving us plenty of room.
I picked a nice looking swim which had the tip of the Island in front and a lovely looking Margin to my Right under a overhanging tree.
With the weather warming up I decided on trying a Guru Hybrid feeder lightly loaded for casting to the island, a Pole Rig for top 5 and a Margin rig for both sides as it had the same depth
The lake was quite Shallow in my swim with a Maximum depth of 3ft in front and 18" in the Margins.
There were a few fish topping so i was hopeful of a decent days fishing.
I started on the hybrid with an 8mm Pellet on a band and  as I was sinking the line the tip knocked and I was into my first a smallish Carp of around pound.
The next 2 chucks resulted in the same with 2 more Carp landed.
It then went a bit quiet so I tried Maggot on the hook and a fish almost immediately but again went quiet.
After the first hour i had 4 fish for around 6Lb.
I tried alternating baits either Pellet, Maggot, Corn and Bomb and bread but it stayed slow and i only added 2 more in the second hour both on bread.
I decided to try my pole line and started on maggot, I started to catch nice Roach and Rudd up to 4oz and a few small carp from 6-12oz.
I struggled to get a bite during the early afternoon on the feeder so started to prime my margins around 2 o clock I fed my left hand Margin with wetted Micros and my right hand margin with Groundbait to see if 1 worked better than the other
A few fish came on the feeder but it was slow I then noticed some mud being disturbed in my left hand Margin and there were definite signs of fish activity so I reached for my Margin rig and went in, it didn't take long for my first bite and over the next 90 minutes i had a dozen Carp averaging 5Lb biggest around 8lb all on 8mm pellet all fish came from the left hand side.
By 4 o clock it started to get cold and it started to snow a bit so i packed up knowing i had a good day and possibly learnt a bit.
Day 2
Oh how things can change within 7 days
The weather had been bitterly cold all week so my practice session probably wouldn't help
I arrived early and was welcomed by a heavy snow shower.
8 booked but only 5 brave souls turned up.
The talk was the fish would be in the deeper water away from the Island so when 2 pegs were put behind in the shallow water we were surprised and though and behold I draw 1 of them and Carl the organiser for the day drew the other (served him right)
I decided that the feeder would be a no go today so just set up a bomb rod for searching the peg a top 5 pole rig and a Margin rig .
Plumbing up I knew I was in for hard day in front of me all the way across I could only find 18" of water (Carl had 12/15")  my right hand Margin had 6" and my left hand margin had a dead tree in I did find what I thought was a clear spot about 4ft from the bank in 15" of water under another branch.
Started on the bomb with Bread rod remained motionless, tried 8mm and 6mm pellets still motionless tried Maggots still nothing after 90 minutes.
Jeff in the open deep water peg had 3 carp in his first 3 chucks, Glen on peg 1 started on the bomb but soon changed to Corn on his pole rig and started to catch well., whilst Dermot who was fishing on my peg from last week had started catching well on Bread in the open water.
I started on my top 5 line and had plenty of roach and rudd and soon put a couple of pound in the net but was falling too far behind so went back on the bomb and instantly had a 3lb Carp on Maggots.
Any thoughts of a nice run ended there as i didn't have another bite.
Carl had 2/3 Carp but decided it was warmer in his van so stopped fishing around 1.30pm.
I persevered and did manage a few small Carp from my  Left hand margin also losing 3 in the tree roots all the time watching Jeff,Glen and Dermot have plenty of bites in the deeper water.
Glen ended up having a cracking days fishing and had 96Lb Dermot came second with 54Lb inc a lovely 15.5Lb Ghost Carp,Jeff was 3rd with 48lb
Me and Carl DNW but both had roughly 15Lb
Enjoyable day but hard in Baltic conditions





No comments:

Post a Comment