Thursday 4 June 2015

Beaten by the Torbay Tart N.A.F.A evening league 3rd June 2015

Well thing's went bad enough during the match but to then find out the Tart from Torbay had come second was a bitter blow.
The match itself started well 18 fishing and i managed to draw pick 10 so 2 better than the previous 2 weeks i decided on peg 2 a nice peg with easy reach to the far bank at just over 13Mtr's and 2 nice margins 1 in some reeds the other under the wooden walkway used for disabled anglers Duncan was on here but it was only his pole that was disabled as he smashed a topkit during the first hour.

I had the same depth at the far bank and both Margins so set up 2 rigs to fish here 1 for past and 1 for meat and also a silvers line for top 2 plus 2 as i wanted to see if the new stock of rudd and skimmers had started feeding (They hadn't or at least not in my peg)

Bait was going to be meat 6mm hard pellets and some maggot/sweetcorn for the silvers

At the all in i cupped some meat and wetted micro's across to the far bank and balled some micro's down both margins

First drop and i had a small carp I then spotted a carp mooching in my right hand margin so i dropped a small chunk of meat near him, 30 seconds later the float slid away and i struck into a right lump that tore through the reeds and snagging me I managed to retrieve half a rig so thought i would try on pellet for a awhile.

30 minutes passed and I had baby carp number 2 from the far bank but the fishing was slow so i thought i would try at some silvers as every time i threw some maggots in i could a boil just under the surface.

I spent 15 minutes catching some small roach, rudd and perch biggest being around 3/4 oz this is when Duncan hooked a large carp that dived straight under the walkway Duncan held his ground and without putting too much pressure on his pole the topkit disintegrated into 3 pieces.

He re rigged went straight back into the same spot and within 5 minutes hooked another that looked to be going the same way but he managed to turn it and land a lovely 5lb fish.

I decided small fish weren't going to get me anywhere so I redid my meat rig and went down the left hand margin.

Within 10 minutes I had a large carp on that shot thankfully straight out into open water I happily played the fish thinking this would get me back in for a top 5 finish as not much was being caught the carp plodded around in front of me for a couple of minutes and then somehow just stopped and it seemed to have snagged me in some underwater obstruction i tried to free it but had no luck and eventually pulled free losing another hooklink.

To say i was disappointed would be an understatement I was so frustrated I tried shipping out too quickly and tangled my pellet rig so badly i couldn't use it again so I had to redo another meat rig and start again

40 minutes to go I had another small carp smash me up in some reeds on the far bank and lost a foul hooked fish
Duncan lost another large carp under the walkway and the night just fizzled out.

The weigh in started and it seemed it wouldn't take a big weight to get a top 5 finish but my kilo and a half wouldn't be enough

The scales went around and with plenty of dnw's it didn't take long for everyone to be packed up and back in the car park

Then the bitterest of blows i could smell the salt & vinegar before seeing him and he was smiling as he had a decent night (possibly his first this year) and had secured second with 5kg+ winning weight was 7kg+ but 5th was only 3kg 200g so i knew if i had landed my decent carp i would have been close i know we all lose fish but i seem to be losing more than others for whatever reason.

Still another pleasant evening with a great bunch of lads, hopefully next week Kentucky will be open (Closed for nearly 7 weeks in Newton Abbot for a refurb) so i can at least drown my sorrows with some of the Colonels finest

Until next time tight lines

No comments:

Post a Comment