Thursday 25 June 2015

N.A.F.A Wednesday evening Match wheel pond 24/06/2015

I am considering taking up Golf after this Wednesday's match.
Managed to just about make it for the draw and found 14 other people waiting to participate in a lovely evening match with fantastic weather.
I had decided earlier in the week to try a different approach this week and concentrate on the silvers for the first hour hoping to put a couple of pound in the net and then try and snare a carp or 2 late on.
I fancied pegs 1,2 20 or 21.
I waited until the end to draw more pick and drew choice 2 this threw me and i started to panic and thought i should pick one of the better carp pegs around 14/18 and eventually settled on peg 16.

This put my game plan out the window as i would now be solely concentrating on Carp mainly straight across at roughly 13.5 Mtrs and down my margins,.
Bait for the night would be 6mm meat and 6mm pellet with only 30 minutes to get set up my rigs were already attached to my poles and i had a pellet and meat rig to fish in just over 2ft of water on the far bank a margin rig at 18 inches and i also had my silvers line set up so put it out but wasn't planning on using it unless everyone struggled.

At the all in i fed a big pot of micro's and meat over on the far bank and instantly had a bow wave and i thought this could be a good night i shipped out with my meat rig it settled and then disappeared almost immediately but i missed the bite.That was the only proper bite I had in the first hour as the swim seemed to be plagued with small roach who just nibbled the meat or pellet without registering a proper bite.

People around me were catching although Smithy lost his first fish again from peg 13.

After the first hour I changed my rig slightly with a lighter hook link and size 18 Hook and instantly hooked a lovely Crucian of about 1lb but again the swim died. I tried both margins but just had small roach so tried the far bank again but just had small fish nosing the bait i got very frustrated as people around me were catching but nothing great so i knew a few fish could give me a chance of a point.

With 30 minutes left i did get a nice bite but i believe it was foul hooked as it tore through the reeds snapping my rig.
I shipped out my spare rig and continued to fish with 5 minutes left i tangled my rig shipping back so thought about packing up then saw my roach rig and thought i might as well have 5 minutes of fun so put on 2 maggots on a size 20 hook and 2lb hook link i shipped out at top 2 plus 2 in about 4 ft of water the float hardly settled when it slid away as i struck i realised i had finally hooked a carp but on no 4/6 elastic it would be hard to get in.
I played it for 5 minutes but couldn't get it's head up the all out was called so i knew i had 15 minutes to land it and i may need all of that.
The fish surfaced quickly and would estimate it at around 5/6lb but then it decided to have 1 more run and i couldn't get mt sections on quickly enough and it snapped my elastic.

A perfect end to a dismal night.

I was so annoyed i didn't hang around for the full weigh in but knew there were 2 10 kilo weights possibly 1 bigger and another of 7kilos so i don't think i would have scored but would have been nice to have caught a nice Carp.

The only upside to the evening was the free savlon samples the Torbay tart was handing out I believe it to be part of his new sponsorship deal.

Possible pleasure trip Saturday evening after some skimmers or Tench with my son.


No comments:

Post a Comment