Thursday 18 June 2015

Pleasure Trip to Cefn Mably Lakes and the River Wye

I was working in Wales this week so took advantage and had a few hours at Cefn Mabley and then a few hours on the pituresque Wye.

I arrived at Cefn Mably to find the gates locked but only had to wait a few minutes until someone opened them.

I followed them up to the well stocked on site Tackle Shop and reception paid for my day ticket then headed straight for bridge pool.

I have always wanted to fish this pool after watching Steve Ringer and Adam rooney fishing it on one of the Fishing Guru's programmes.
 

 

 


I wandered around and set myself up n the same peg Mr Ringer fished and employed roughly the same tactics to begin (chucking a small method feeder to the point of the Island with Micro's and a 6mm Banded pellet) I also set up a Pole to purely fish the margins later on as every swim seems to have exceptional margin prospects.


Second chuck and the tip wrapped round and a nice 2lb carp was landed next chuck and another carp came to the net 3rd chuck i had a small drop back bite and landed  a small skimmer around 4oz.

The swim died for awhile after that and it was very difficult to feed the swim with a catapult as the wind was blowing directly at me and was quite strong.

I started to notice some movement in my left hand margin so fed a large pot of Groundbait,meat and sweetcorn and left it for half an hour.


The Island started to produce a few more carp including 2 beautiful Ghost Carp and F1's as well as a few more skimmers.

I decided to have a look in my margin so lowered my pole float in waited around a minute then saw a big bow wave come in and my float buried the carp tore off but i soon had it under control and landed a beautiful mirror carp around 8lb.

Second drop and this time the meat didn't reach the bottom before the float sailed away and another carp around 6lb was netted.

I refed the swim and went back on the feeder and instantly had a skimmer of over 1lb followed by another Carp.

A glance to my left revelaed tails and heads popping out the Margins so i came back on the pole line and again had  instant bites from Carp.

I continued to rotate between the feeder and pole for the rest of my time and was pleasantly surprised to land 2 lovely crucians inc a personal best 2lb beauty who was extremely chunky.


I did go and fish the same peg Mr Rooney fished as i really wanted to catch a decent Barbel but could only land more Carp

final numbers were 35 Carp averaging 4lb a few F1's  2 Crucians and a dozen or more skimmers and Roach to a decent size.

In all a lovely days fishing from a lovely well maintained fishery.

After packing up i travelled up to Monmouthshire to have a few hours on the Wye i'm not sure if the weather affected it but i struggled to catch anything decent but had a lot of small Roach,Bleak and a few small Chublets on Maggots I will be returning later in the year and will be more prepared.

This was my first attempt on a river and i was a bit overawed by the whole experience so i need to do some more research and spend a few more days wandering around the area as it truly is one the best rivers in the country especially Symonds Yat which is Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment