Monday 11 January 2016

Feneck Ponds Exeter association water 10/01/2015

My first trip of the year and a new water under my new Exeter association Licence.

I Thought I would Try Feneck Ponds as they were the closest ponds to me and seemed to fish quite well during winter.

I arrived and as no one else was around I had a quiet walk around both lakes There were a few fishing topping but I thought I would settle for an easy day as chose the peg nearest my car.

I had just finished setting up when another lad & Dad turned up they said there were no carp left in the bottom lake (so perhaps Exeter should update their handbook) but also said the bottom lake was a good silverfish lake withplenty of roach and Skimmers to be had along with some Crucians and Perch.

A quick re jig of my polekits had me set up with a light rig for fishing top 2 plus 3 straight in front in about 4 foot of water plus a margin rig for my left and right edges for the perch that I had been told about.

I also had a small method feeder set up with a size 18 hook.

I started in front and cupped in a few micro's some corn and a few maggots to try and start the swim off.
I waited for about 20 minutes before my first bite which resulted in a small hand sized skimmer and next drop a second was added.
Unfortunately the line died after that so I tried the feeder rod.

Almost instantly I had a few nibbles but nothing worth striking at then the tip nodded and dropped back I struck gently and felt some resistance I wound in believing I had a small skimmer until it close to the net then it woke up and I was most surprised to see quite a large Goldfish appear at around a 1lb and a quarter it was quite big it had a distinct look of a Crucian but totally Orange if I could work out how to upload photo'd from my new phone I  would do but as it stands I can't

Next cast and another tremor on the rod resulted in a lovely Roach of around 8 oz.

That was the last action I had on the feeder all day.

I tried the margins and caught plenty of small Perch averaging an ounce so gave up on that and went back to my topkit plus 3 and had a few small roach and Skimmers

Around 1 o clock the wind blew one of my topkits of my roost and I tried to retrieve it I left my pole rig about 2 feet from my box and just saw it being pulled into the water so I managed to grab it and pleased to have a lovely Roach of around 12oz on.

I decided to try just my topkit and hand fed a few maggots over the top the float sailed away and I had to paly quite a large roach but safely  netted it and at well over a pound was a lovely fish.

It was hard going for the rest of the afternoon but quality Roach would make the odd appearance and I had 6 over a pound plus a few 8-12 oz for an estimated bag of 15-18lb which isn't bad for this time of year and from a new lake.

I had a nice chat with Bailiff who gave good advise and said in the summer months it can be a fish a chuck so with quality Roach like I caught I will definitely be back.

First impressions of Exeter Angling Association are very good.

Next I will be trying either Kia Ora lakes in Cullompton or the lakes at Sampford Peverill and hope the rivers calm down soon as I really fancy a day trying for some Chub.










next cdrop a second skimmer was added.

No comments:

Post a Comment