Monday 25 January 2016

River Culm Cullompton Free Stretch 23/01/2016

Really disappointed when my son Robbie went down with Tonsilitis on Friday as he was really looking forward to going fishing but i ventured out myself and settled for The River Culm a lovely little stretch just below the motorwat bridge.

I only took 2 rods 1 for float fishing and another for a small open ended feeder that i would be fishing at the bottom end of the run.

I opened my rod case to see i had somehow broke my lighter tip from my feeder rod so had to fish with a heavier tip than i liked.

I set this rod up with a small cage feeder with a 18" 11/2 lb hooklink to a size 18 hook baited with double maggot and flicked it to the bottom of the run.

I then set up a quick stick float to fis at 7 foot deep through the top end of the swim.

20 minutes and after catching a tree a thorn bush and other hedge material i finally had a little tremor on the feeder rod.
I struck and wound in a small roach of 4oz.
I quickly rebaited and cast again and immediately had a small chublet followed by another roach.
I lost quite a few fish and never got to grips with the float rod so changed that to a small lead and rolled some maggots through the swim this caught me a few small roach and Dace then i struck into something slightly heavier and a lovely roach of around 1lb came to the net.

I lost afew more fish and i believe 1 to a pike as when i was winding a  small fish in the rod lunged and i wound a snapped hooklink.
Packed up early as my kids were ill and felt i should be home looking after them but ended with around 3/4lb on my first river trip so pleased with that and will try again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment