Sunday 24 May 2015

Fish 5 Robbie and myself 3 Private lake

Spent a lovely Bank holiday afternoon at a private lake targeting wild carp that I am very privileged to have access too.
We arrived at the 1 acre lake mid afternoon and quickly set up a waggler for fishing at 18"  and 2 carp rods 1 with a 2foot zig rig style set up to fish some White chocolate and Chilli pop ups at half depth and 1 method feeder for the bottom fishing corn over groundbait this seemed to cover all bases.
I cast the zig rig out and then the feeder whilst Robbie was having a few quick chucks with the waggler.
10 minutes in I saw movement on the zig line and struck into a fish that tore across the lake and snapped my hooklink.
I quickly tied a new hooklink and cast out to the same spot.
Robbie was still stalking around the lake when the zig started moving again and agin the line tore away and the hook link snapped again this was 6lb line so I was very disappointed then realised I had the drag set quite tight hence the snap offs.
I was just tying another hooklink when Robbie called and he had a nice carp on I ran too him but again the hooklink snapped. 3-0 to the Carp these wildies are tough little carp.
Another 10 minutes passed and the feeder rod twitched and I struck into a lively fish that almost immediately snapped my hook link 4-0 to the carp and I was starting to get annoyed.
I double checked all thedrag settings and said to Robbie when the next fish comes just let it run .
We had to wait 30 minutes but the zig went flying off I played on a loose drag and finally brought a lovely carp of around 4/5Lbwas netted by Robbie

We persevered but the lake seemed to completely switch off so we took the opportunity to watch the local wildlife inc Herons, Buzzards some Geese and Swans.
I decided to do some stalking myself whilst Robbie was happy to climb some trees and have some fun.
I ventured around the lake then cam to the same corner where Robbie had earlier lost his fish I could see a fish moving and after 4/5 casts with waggler managed to hook into a lively carp of similar size to my previous ones.
The owner of the lake came to visit and we spent a pleasant 45 minutes catching up with recent events.
We decided to move all our rods to the corner of the lake and immediately  hooked a Carp on the zig rig which we lost in some weed.
Next Cast and we hooked another Carp which my son played well for a few minutes and then landed


He may not look happy but he was the carp slapping him in the face made him wince slightly but what a beautiful fish that had never been caught before.

So final score carp 5 Me & Robbie 3 but I well happy with the result and to see my little one catch a beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment