Thursday 21 May 2015

Newton Abbot Fishing Association Wednesday Evening Match Wheel

Well another poor match by me which started so well.
Arrived for the draw with 10 minutes spare (5.30 draw/6.00 all in) and a quick look around showed it to be a bit blowy around pegs 12-18 so i really fancied a a peg between 1 and 8 with a few fish showing.
This series is a rover and we had 18 attend so pretty good for an evening match.
I drew number 12 so had to wait whilst most of the good pegs were taken and when it came to my pick i was surprised to see peg 5 still available so picked it.
I arrived at my peg with 3 rigs already set up as 30 minutes to set up is a bit of push so attached my pole rigs at work.
A few slight adjustments were made after plumbing up but my 3 rigs consisted of a shallow rig for the far bank a Pellet rig set at 2 foot for both my margins and a 3 foot roach rig for top 2 plus 2 straight in front of me.
The all in was called and the bloke next to me cast his pellet feeder onto the island and made quite a commotion getting it back through the reeds opposite (This continued all evening) i noticed the lad on peg 3 had a small carp first put in I started on the far bank at just under 13 mtrs with meat and  after 10 minutes my float buried and i managed to land a lovely 4lb mirror
Peg 3 had another small carp and peg 7 had a carp similar to me.
 After 30 minutes i had another bite but this it went darting through the reeds and although i believed i had it out twice it finally went solid and i had to pull the elastic and lost my hook.
This is where it all went wrong i reached for another hook link and realized i only had size 22 hook links to 1lb bottom or size 12 hooks on 6lb line Knowing it would be a battle with the reeds all night i opted for the larger hook maybe that was a mistake.
I tried on the roach line and had quick bites from some nice roach and probably put a quick 1lb in the net.
I tried both margins but to no avail so went long again to the far bank i lost another carp in the reeds and despite seeing the reeds jostling all night i couldn't get another bite.
I ended with between 4/5lb which wouldn't be enough so dnw.
Top 5 get points and i heard pegs 12 through to 18 had fished quite well.
The lad with heavy casting and pellet feeder somehow managed to get 8kg (perhaps i need to make more noise) and peg 3 weighed 4kg i missed the rest of the weigh in as i was talking with my Wife's Uncle but will update when i get the final results.
I feel i need to master the art of feeding a little better but do feel more confident with every match i attend and i am constantly learning by watching the better anglers.
Hopefully going to have a pleasure session over the bank holiday weekend at a private lake for some wild Carp.

No comments:

Post a Comment